[PD] [PD-announce] Real Time Composition Library (RTC-lib) for Pd

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Aug 29 09:08:21 CEST 2006

Hallo,
David Powers hat gesagt: // David Powers wrote:

> I think this is quite exciting - and it's a really good thing for Pure
> Data, on the PR front, to be able to have somthing so useful. This is
> something one can immediately point composers too as some useful
> software that is free and will run on any operating system. A lot of
> people (myself included at the beginning) don't get into PD because
> it's unclear what you can actually DO off the bat with it (besides
> "anything")!

You have discovered part of my secret plan here. ;) The RTC-lib is a
well-known library in certain (mostly "academic", but also "Autechre")
circles, it's used in education and you'll meet it in the literature
like R. Rowe's "Machine Musicianship" etc. With RTC-lib being
available on Pd as well, I'm trying to establish Pd in these areas a
bit more and take over a certain "market share". Composition students
who want to explore the RTC-lib, now don't need to buy a copy of Max
anymore (or run on never-expiring demo versions) - the can just use Pd
instead. And of course I also want to use it myself.

There's nothing about RTC-lib that really requires Max: Most of the
stuff in RTC-lib just deals with doing calculations on integer numbers
(and lists of integers) representing midi note events. Nothing special
here, except of course, that list-processing wasn't really available
in Max at the time, RTC-lib was started (~1994). But as Pd has [list]
now you can do almost the complete RTC-lib in pure Pd.

Ciao