[PD] pd & soundblaster audigy with alsa

Thoralf Schulze thoralf_schulze at yahoo.de
Tue Aug 29 16:20:03 CEST 2006

hi there,

I'm trying to get pd 0.39-2 to work with my audigy2
soundcard. I compiled pd with --enable-alsa and
--enable-jack on gentoo (kernel 2.6.17r4). pd works in
oss mode but fails with alsa unless i specify -noadc .
I would really appreciate any hints on getting the
card (including its inputs) going with alsa, since oss
is pretty much deprecated these days ...

alsa itself seems to be okay: playing back media files
with both xmms and mplayer works. cat
/proc/asound/devices gives

  0: [ 0]   : control
  1:        : sequencer
  4: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
  6: [ 0- 2]: hardware dependent
  8: [ 0- 0]: raw midi
  9: [ 0- 1]: raw midi
 10: [ 0- 2]: raw midi
 11: [ 0- 3]: raw midi
 16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
 18: [ 0- 2]: digital audio playback
 19: [ 0- 3]: digital audio playback
 20: [ 0- 4]: digital audio playback
 24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
 25: [ 0- 1]: digital audio capture
 26: [ 0- 2]: digital audio capture
 28: [ 0- 4]: digital audio capture
 33:        : timer

so the devices are there.

pd started with -alsa -listdev spits out the following
messages:

input devices:
1. Audigy 2 Platinum [SB0240P] (hardware)
2. Audigy 2 Platinum [SB0240P] (plug-in)
output devices:
1. Audigy 2 Platinum [SB0240P] (hardware)
2. Audigy 2 Platinum [SB0240P] (plug-in)
API number 1

input devices:
1. OSS MIDI device #1
output devices:
1. OSS MIDI device #1
audio I/O stuck... closing audio

selecting either the hardware or the plugin-devices
doesn't make a difference.

many thanks in advance,
thoralf.