[PD] how to open max patches via cyclone??

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Aug 29 21:46:14 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Kevin McCoy hat gesagt: // Kevin McCoy wrote:

> A-HA - thanks.  I don't have that - just cyclone.pd
> I knew you had been doing this all the time recently so I was kind of hoping
> you'd answer as well.  Wonder why it doesn't come with Pd-extended.  I
> should just get tough and build what I need myself, it's kind of tricky to
> guess what does/doesn't work with extended builds despite their usefulness
> for most things.

Generally it's not needed to load cyclone as a library: pd-extended
has this philosophy to build most externals as single objects, and
that's good most of the time: Cyclone is apt to produce a lot of name
clashes with other objects (prepend, urn, etc.) and with single object
files these are easier to sort out by just moving files around.

However importing Max patches with cyclone requires the library
version of it, probably because it does some funky magic behind the
curtains. If you can just build the cyclone library somehow and only
load it, when you want to import patches, that should be enough. Oh,
and move away the cyclone.pd from your path, this will only interfere
with the library loading. (Probably the pddp-meta patches should not
use the library name itself, but something like "cyclone-meta.pd" to
colelct meta-data.)

Ciao