R: R: [PD] Arduino

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Aug 28 21:07:51 CEST 2006

Which version are you using?  There was some bugs in the past, for
sure.  I think I got the analogs in, digital outs, and digital ins
all working now.  The latest version broke the hardware PWM control,
but we are also adding software PWM support.  Try the latest versions
in CVS:  externals/hardware/arduino.

As for adding the pin number, I think its redundant, you can just use
a header byte (255) then byte order to determine pin #, and that will
save you 5 bytes per cycle (12 bytes versus 7 bytes).  Part of the
goal of the Pduino firmware is to make is communicate as fast as
possible so that people can make usable instruments with it, and make
snappy interactions.  There are a number of strange things in the
firmware the arise because of this.

.hc

On Aug 25, 2006, at 12:10 PM, Davide Morelli wrote:

> I really think there is a problem in the firmware.
>
> I modified your firmare removing everything but the analog readouts
> and
> sending a byte (128 + pin number) before every readout to see which
> analog
> I'm reading, I also modified arduino-help.pd and arduino.pd
> accordingly and
> now it works ok.
>
> you can download the modified firmware and patches here:
> http://www.davidemorelli.it/public/Pduino-modified.zip
>
> ...am I the only one having problems with multiple analog inputs?
> have you
> tested it with multiple analog ins?
>
>> This sounds a lot like float voltages.  The Arduino's/Atmel's
>> analog inputs are very sensitive to voltage.  So if you don't
>> have analog pin tied to either ground or 5V (e.g. via a
>> resistor), then there will be tiny voltages on those pins,
>> which the Arduino will dutifully measure and report.  Try
>> grounding any open pins.
>>

> yes, i did it on the last unused pin, maybe I get strange values
> because I'm
> using quite long wires but the fact that I can read the first 3
> analog but
> not the last 3 is suspicious.
>
> best,
> davide.

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin
Luther King, Jr.