[PD] messing with help-patches

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Aug 28 22:09:05 CEST 2006

On Aug 21, 2006, at 11:18 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 15:59 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> Looking at the help patch will only give you a list of help patches.
>
> yeah, you are right, it's better to look into the abs-directory
> itself.
> but when exploring freshly installed externals, i usually have a quick
> view on the list of helpfiles, just to get an idea... objects that
> miss
> helpfile probably will never be used by me, since i don't know how
> they
> work anyway....
>
>>> i see, although this is only a problem in pd-extended, afaik.
>>> that means
>>> there is no other way than having to add an extra -helppath for each
>>> external. since the good ol' .pdrc has been considered to be
>>> deprecated
>>> many times , iirc, and i couldn't find a way to add a -helppath
>>> through
>>> the menu, this concept seems to be problematic.
>>
>> Recursively added help-paths would also break stuff or at least
>> create
>> confusion on standard Pd. For example, assuming you have a help patch
>> for maxlib/scale-help.pd and Gem/scale-help.pd. Which one should be
>> used when you look for help on [scale]?
>
> i don't understand your point here. let's say you have '-lib
> Gem:maxlib
> -helppath /to/gem/helpfiles -helppath to/maxlib/helpfiles'. first you
> don't know which [scale] is used when instanciated, then you still
> don't
> know which helpfile is loaded on right-click->help.
>
>> A solution could be directory namespaces.
>
> this is only a solution for abs, but not for externals, yet. and the
> fact that pd-extended uses dir-namespaces doesn't make things easier,
> since it breaks 'interchangeability' of patches between pd-extended
> and
> pd.

Directory namespaces work in all versions on Pd, this was not
something that was added in Pd-extended.  It just takes advantage of
them.  And this works fine for single-class, single-file externals.
Just the multi-class, single-file libraries would have problems, but
many of us consider those deprecated.

.hc