[PD] [urn] in Zexy vs. [urn] in maxlib, cyclone and Max/MSP

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Aug 30 15:32:45 CEST 2006

Hallo,

> Sounds like a prime candidate for abstractions/purepd, albeit with
> the regular name, [urn].

It's now part of RTC-lib under the "german" name "urne". I don't
intend to add more dust to the namespace pollution of urn by calling
it the same again.

(RTC-lib in the end will probably get a namespace like "rtc" anyways.)

> But as long as these differences are documented, I don't think its
> necessarily a problem to have different versions in different
> libraries.  Ideally, they would have different, more descriptive
> names...

Problem is: If you write a library like RTC-lib, you don't know, which
version of an external like urn people have installed. I'm struggling
with this problem since a long time in RRADical. Ideally all "urn" and
"prepend" and "scale" and "counter" objects would behave the same, but
they don't.  The only way out currently is to not use these objects at
all and to use different objects, that is, objects like "zexy/urn",
"maxlib_scale" or "urne". A future way may be "from cyclone import
urn" but it's not there yet.

Ciao