[PD] pix_freeframe

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Aug 30 18:02:11 CEST 2006

Yves Degoyon wrote:
> ola,

hi

>> i would also be interested in which context "RGBA" is twice as heavy
>> as "YUV" (with respect to Gem/pdp)
>>
> it's as simple as have shown dumb+dumber :

thanks for the compliment.

> in RGBA format, a pixel is represented by 4x(data size)
> in YUV planar 4:2:2 format, it is represented by :
>    1Y + 1/4*U +1/4*V = 1,5*(data size )
>
> of course, loops are much faster with YUV 4:2:2

actually my point was about "datasize" in Gem and pdp.
in Gem's RGBA format, each pixel is represented by 4 bytes (datasize=1byte)

i always thought, pdp uses short as datatype, which gives you far better
resolution.
otoh, this means that you need 6 bytes per pixel (datasize=2bytes)

of course loops are much faster with less data.

> i like the way people always argue here.

me too.
please note that i don't say that pdp is bad or worse than Gem or
something. but most likely i don't prove anything with this remark.

mfg.adsr
IOhannes