[PD] pix_freeframe

Yves Degoyon ydegoyon at free.fr
Wed Aug 30 18:14:38 CEST 2006

ola,

>> in RGBA format, a pixel is represented by 4x(data size)
>> in YUV planar 4:2:2 format, it is represented by :
>>    1Y + 1/4*U +1/4*V = 1,5*(data size )
>>
>> of course, loops are much faster with YUV 4:2:2
>

> actually my point was about "datasize" in Gem and pdp.
> in Gem's RGBA format, each pixel is represented by 4 bytes
> (datasize=1byte)
>
> i always thought, pdp uses short as datatype, which gives you far
> better resolution.
> otoh, this means that you need 6 bytes per pixel (datasize=2bytes)

err, 1,5*datasize = 1,5*2 is not really 6, mas bien 3.
but the point is not this ( not the size of the data ),
but how many data you process in a loop,
actually more than 2 times less.

and, cgc was right, the real name of the format used in pdp is YUV 4:2:0,
sorry, i'm a bit far from video these days.

tschuss,
sevy