[PD] pix_freeframe

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Aug 30 18:22:41 CEST 2006

Yves Degoyon wrote:
> ola,
>> i always thought, pdp uses short as datatype, which gives you far
>> better resolution.
>> otoh, this means that you need 6 bytes per pixel (datasize=2bytes)
>>
> err, 1,5*datasize = 1,5*2 is not really 6, mas bien 3.

oops, sorry; my math is getting rusty...

of course you are right that one pdp-pixel is still less than one Gem
RGBA pixel.

> but the point is not this ( not the size of the data ),
> but how many data you process in a loop,

do i read this correctly as: how many data is processed in the entire
loop (e.g. the size of the image)?
that's what i meant with "loops are much faster with less data"; i
haven't said that loops are faster when you process bytes instead of shorts.

> actually more than 2 times less.

now again my math strikes me.
if one pixel takes 3 bytes in pdp and 4 bytes in Gem, then an image of
100x100 pixels has 30000 bytes in pdp and 40000 bytes in Gem.
so its 25% less data and not 50% (however, with a better resolution)

mfg.asdr
IOhannes