Re [PD] pix_freeframe

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 21:26:39 CEST 2006

On 8/31/06, padawan12 <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm not following this thread but nice explanation.
> So YUV in anything other than 4 4 4 is basically
> "compressed video" ?

Depends on how crazy you want to be with semantics.  There is no
distribution video format other than subsampled YUV.  Typically 4:2:2
without datarate decimation is called uncompressed video.  Some television
studiom equipment is RGB but anything coming in from the field or going out
for broadcast is YUV.

Broadcast video is actually removing information per sample as it moves
forward.  NTSC and PAL were 4:2:2 uncompressed while ATSC (US HDTV) uses
4:2:0 with fairly lossy MPEG2.