[PD] pd-competition?

Marco Trevisani marco at ccrma.stanford.edu
Thu Aug 31 00:07:07 CEST 2006

It might happen that i say something already mentioned, but i could
not read all messages in this thread in detail...in which case, i'm
sorry...

I think there are certainly two categories for sure.
Complexity, invention and "taking PD to its limits" it is certainly
appealing and interesting, but it could end up to be just a scientific
competition (which could be fine, no critics). Certainly one of the
final goals with PD is to facilitate, composers, partist and performer
to create *art* with this great tool and indeed a great composition could
be done with the simpliest patch ever ( maybe a osc~ 440 to dac
.. very punk, no volume control etc...:-) )

Many of my stundents are convinced that a great composition,
installation or performance in order to be well done "artistically"
requires a supercomplex pd patch... and it is difficult to explain
them that this is not always true, sure it might happen that an
artistic project requires a super complex patch, or even a new
object...

Finally i would certainly think about having one part of the
competition for the best "abstraction" - in the sense a pd patch as
final project, i.e. an acoustic piano that produce a continous human
moan in Keith Jarret style (or Glenn Gould)...:-) - and an artistic
project that uses PD.

	my 1/1000 of a cuban cent,
	marco trevisani