[PD] Hello world external

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Aug 31 05:00:47 CEST 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Javier García wrote:

> Im trying to create my first "Hello world" external with this tutorial:
> http://iem.kug.ac.at/pd/externals-HOWTO/pd-externals-HOWTO.pdf
> How to save the file (what format) and how to load at puredata to see it
> works?

save it as helloworld.c and translate it to an executable with a command
like this:

   gcc -shared -o helloworld.pd_linux helloworld.c

if you're on a mac, do it like this instead:

   gcc -bundle -undefined suppress -o helloworld.pd_darwin helloworld.c

if your text editor doesn't want to deal with .c files, you could save as
helloworld.txt and replace helloworld.c by -xc helloworld.txt in the
commands above. (You need to have "gcc" of course).

if you're on windows instead, i can't help you.