[PD] pd & soundblaster audigy with alsa

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Aug 31 14:04:54 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Thoralf Schulze hat gesagt: // Thoralf Schulze wrote:

> just did some quick testing with ubuntu 6.06 and pd
> 0.39-2 - pretty much the same thing. there seems to be
> no way of getting sound into pd via the audigy card
> one thing caught my attention: ubuntu (or gnome,
> respectively) comes with a volume control applet. if i
> select my crappy on-board sound card as active alsa
> device, there is a capture-tab in this applet that
> doesn't appear for the audigy. could it be that
> capturing audio is simply broken in alsa with this
> card? is there an easy way of testing if the line-in
> input of a soundcard actually works with alsa?

First: Running pd -oss is not deprecated or anything. I mostly use
"-oss" myself. So if it works, just stick with it.

To test, if ALSA works in general, you should use "aplay" and
"arecord" first. Try "arecord -D default -f cd some.wav" to see if you
can capture from the "default" device. If this works, try the "hw:X"
device like: "arecord -D hw:1 -f cd some.wav". THis actually might
fail, depending on your hardware (it will probably fail on RME cards
for example).

The missing "capture" control for your Audigy may not be a bug: Many
soundcards don't have a mixer so there's nothing to mix. Some cards
have a mixer, but not for everything. It migh be, that the Audigy
doesn't have an Input mixer.

If you run "alsamixer -c1" to select the second card ("-c1") to
control, then alsamixer will show the mixer controls available on your
card.

Ciao