[PD] pd & oss / midi

Thoralf Schulze thoralf_schulze at yahoo.de
Thu Aug 31 15:40:59 CEST 2006

hi frank,

--- Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:

thanks a million for your answer.

> First: Running pd -oss is not deprecated or
> anything. I mostly use
> "-oss" myself. So if it works, just stick with it.

So I guess I'll stick with the oss emulation, I just
got pd decently married to it. it still strikes me as
weird that the oss emulation of alsa is capable of
doing things that the underlying alsa doesn't seem to
support.

while we're at it, another question regarding midi:
you wrote a while ago
(http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2005-10/031793.html)
that it is possible to get data from an usb midi
controller into pd by using the /dev/midi* files. I
actually do have a bunch of them:

vj at thoralf ~ $ ls /dev/midi* -al
crw-rw----  1 root audio 14,  2 31. Aug 15:23
/dev/midi
crw-rw----  1 root audio 35,  0 14. Feb 2006
/dev/midi0
crw-rw----  1 root audio 14,  2 14. Feb 2006
/dev/midi00
crw-rw----  1 root audio 14, 18 14. Feb 2006
/dev/midi01
crw-rw----  1 root audio 14, 34 14. Feb 2006
/dev/midi02
crw-rw----  1 root audio 14, 50 14. Feb 2006
/dev/midi03
crw-rw----  1 root audio 14, 50 21. Aug 19:52
/dev/midi3

I understand that I need to load the snd-usb-audio
module (pd -listdev without this module returns

input devices:
1. OSS MIDI device #1
output devices:
1. OSS MIDI device #1

, both are not working) to access the controller. with
this module loaded, i get

input devices:
1. OSS MIDI device #1
2. OSS MIDI device #2
output devices:
1. OSS MIDI device #1
2. OSS MIDI device #2

, but none if these devices actually works. I tried
various iterations of -mididev x , to no avail. am i
missing another module? and how do i get alsa to load
snd-usb-audio when it starts up?
/etc/modules/autoload/kernel-2.6 doesn't seem to be
right place, since it gets loaded before alsa starts
and blocks sound in pd as a consequence.

once i have this up an working, i owe you a beer. and
i'll have to stick notes with "don't you ever touch
alsa config again!" all over the place.

thanks,
thoralf.