[PD] PD markov object

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Aug 11 02:24:00 CEST 2006

On Aug 1, 2006, at 12:17 PM, Martin Peach wrote:

> c.m.bryan wrote:
>> Alright, I installed mingw on my linux box and test-compiled an exe
>> which ran ok.  I took the original markov makefile and simply changed
>> all the ".pd_linux" to ".dll", and changed the gcc call to
>> i386-mingw32-gcc.  This gave me a dll without errors: however, trying
>> to load it in pd gives:
>>
>> C:\\WINDOWS\\DESKTOP\\PD-0.38-4\\PD-0.38-4-DEVEL-2\\extra\
>> \markov.dll:
>> couldn't load
>> markov
>> ... couldn't create
>>
>> The "couldn't load" error tells me that it's seeing the file
>> correctly, it just can't handle it.
>>
>> Looking at other pd makefiles, they're calling "cl" and "link" to
>> generate the .dll, but they're not part of mingw.
>>
> I guess those are the Microsoft tools, not the gnu ones. The
> makefiles are set up for some version of MSVC. I find it easier to
> use VisualC++ Express (which you can get for free) to build pd
> stuff for Windows, MINGW being such a pain to set up. Setting up a
> project in VC is only about 90% the hassle of redoing the
> makefile...;(
> I'm not sure (!), but I don't think MINGW dlls will work with
> binaries built with Microsoft tools.
> The 'couldn't load' message may relate to that. One way to find out
> would be to build pd first and try linking to the pd.lib you get
> from that.
> The other cause of externs not loading is that the setup routine is
> not exported, something which is done differently in MINGW vs MSVC.
> Martin

I've gotten down installed MinGW to a practiced art with the HOWTO I
wrote.  I can get it working quite quickly these days.  Have you
tried the HOWTO?  There are a couple key details which make life much
easier, like the /usr/local mount.

Using MinGW on Windows has made life so much easier since it uses
gcc.  It makes porting Linux or Mac OS X externals soooo much easier
than when using the Microsoft tools.