[PD] messing with help-patches

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Sep 1 07:40:58 CEST 2006

Hallo,

> On Aug 21, 2006, at 8:48 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> >Roman Haefeli hat gesagt: // Roman Haefeli wrote:

> >>the only problem i see here, is that one has to add an extra -
> >>helppath for each lib. it would be nice, if that could be avoided
> >>by searching pd/doc/5.reference recursively.
> >
> >No, this would break a lot of things, especially directory prefixed
> >names like [maxlib/scale].
>
> Actually, this is exactly what the libdir code does, and AFAIK, it
> doesn't break things.

Hm , I can't follow this: Are you saying, that pd-extended already
searches pd/doc/5.reference recursively for help files? But if you
have, for example, a directory "zexy" with "urn-help.pd" in it and
also a directory "maxlib" with "urn-help.pd" in it, and also a
toplevel "urn-help.pd", maybe coming from cyclone, how do you select
the right help file when you try to open help for "urn"? Searching
recursively will find all three and it circuments all directory
prefixes.

> The current help browser was meant to be a temporary hack.  Anyone
> want to write the replacement?

I don't know Tk enough. My criticism is just, that the previous file
browser was the better temporary hack, because it offered several
features, which now are temporarily disbled as well without gaining
anything in turn, as far as I can judge.

Ciao