[PD] messing with help-patches

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Sep 1 15:34:28 CEST 2006

On Sep 1, 2006, at 7:40 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,

>>> No, this would break a lot of things, especially directory prefixed
>>> names like [maxlib/scale].
>>
>> Actually, this is exactly what the libdir code does, and AFAIK, it
>> doesn't break things.
>
> Hm , I can't follow this: Are you saying, that pd-extended already
> searches pd/doc/5.reference recursively for help files? But if you
> have, for example, a directory "zexy" with "urn-help.pd" in it and
> also a directory "maxlib" with "urn-help.pd" in it, and also a
> toplevel "urn-help.pd", maybe coming from cyclone, how do you select
> the right help file when you try to open help for "urn"? Searching
> recursively will find all three and it circuments all directory
> prefixes.

Sorry, not recursively, I misunderstood.  Its just that when you load
a libdir, it adds its path to the global help path.

>> The current help browser was meant to be a temporary hack.  Anyone
>> want to write the replacement?
>
> I don't know Tk enough. My criticism is just, that the previous file
> browser was the better temporary hack, because it offered several
> features, which now are temporarily disbled as well without gaining
> anything in turn, as far as I can judge.

The previous browser was a better temporary hack on Linux, it was
very, very broken on Mac OS X, and limited on Windows. Feel free to
submit a patch to re-add the old one for Linux/Windows.  It could
easily be included in Pd-extended.

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin
Luther King, Jr.