[OT] Re: [PD] PD convention book on amazon.de

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Sep 3 11:24:52 CEST 2006

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Chris McCormick wrote:

> I seriously cannot beleive that you can't imagine a society without a
> monetary currency.

I imagine it, but I imagine it the way I imagine pink elephants flying
across perpendicular dimensions.

> You should read the Iain M Banks book "The Algebraist" where the only
> economy that truly advanced societies deal in is the currency of
> 'kudos'.

Why would the elimination of monetary economy mean that only the
kudos "economy" would replace it? if using a loose enough definition of
economy to include kudos, there are lots of kinds of economies today which
are likely not going to be replaced by only kudos, right? why would an
economy of attention be focused on merit rather than fluff?

> I find this notion very convincing and sincerely hope that it's
> the future of our own society. Think forwards to a time when technology
> has eliminated scarcity.

How can scarcity be eliminated? Aren't new needs created just as fast as
other needs are fulfilled?

> I'm glad you didn't make a joke about sending a Pd powered missile to
> Uranus. ;)

The connection between Pd and Uranus is deeper than you may think. Do you
know about the other pd community? it's « la communauté pédé » --->
http://www.thewarning.info/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=0004