[pd] FFT sine to saw oscilator (was:[pd] hanning window + fft)

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 00:40:30 CEST 2006

Just a thought... the output of a recursive filter from an input of an
impulse would be several impulses of linearly changing amplitude at
equally spaced intervals, and it would seem like that ought to give
some sort of sawtooth if you put it through IFFT.

On 9/5/06, mami music <mami.music at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi... well really my intentions are to use a slider to controll the shape
> from sine to sqare to saw... to get intermediate waveforms with only one
> slider... i guess sqare works quite good. not so the saw...
>
> Yes you can create a sawtooth wave with phasor, i was just curious how it
> wold work.
>
> But still can anybody explain how to make a list that the object IFFT~
> undestand as sine+amplitude  matrix???
>
> I´ve used [print~] to check the output of the FFT~ object. it gives a list
> of 64 values.... if you input that list to the IFFT~ object it converts that
> data into resynthesizing a wave form... how can we create our own vaveforms
> editing that 64 ???
>
> i´ve used pack~ bi¡ut no results.
>
> 2006/9/5, Charles Henry <czhenry at gmail.com>:
> > I thought you could use the phasor~ object to create sawtooth waves.
> >
> > By the way, when I read this discussion, I tried to compute the fft of
> > the hanning window, on paper.  I've had a little trouble.
> > It's that usual law when you multiply in the time domain, you convolve
> > in the frequency domain.
> > Your windowing functions usually have a lot of low frequencies.  There
> > should be some effects from the multiplication (as convolution in the
> > freq domain).
> > I don't get why to use a Hanning window rather than a triangular
> > window, for instance.
> >
> > Chuck

"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."
-Theodore Roosevelt