[PD] gem: resize a texture / buffering textures

Thoralf Schulze thoralf_schulze at yahoo.de
Wed Sep 6 20:46:13 CEST 2006

hi chris,

> I am getting a seizure from that patch.  You want to
i take this as a compliment :-)

> resize images load them
> into pix_buffer and then only update the texture
> every few frames?
no, my intention is still to create some
organic-looking video stuff by doing feedback: draw
something, take a snapshot of the render buffer and
use this as texture for a rectangle in the background
of the picture in the next render cycle. the pix_image
in the attached patch was only there to simplify
things ...

since both pix_buffer_read and pix_buffer_write are
tremendous resource hogs, i came up with the idea of
resizing the texture and/or updating it only every nth
frame (is this possible at all?). pix_buffering a
texture larger than 400x300 pixels every render cycle
causes serious midi delays on my machine, which has
only 4xagp (which is probably the bottleneck here).

> something like imagemagick to resize them?  Maybe we
> can find some decent
> resizing code in a GPL app and use that in place of
> pix_resize...
yeah, that would be really cool. maybe we could borrow
something form the avisynth people (www.avisynth.org).
there are quite a few resizing algorithms available in
that package, ranging from dumb linear resizing to
spline-based algorithms:
http://www.avisynth.org/Resize

with kind regards,
thoralf.