[PD] physical computing: Lanbox, Arduino

tim info at timvets.net
Thu Sep 7 06:07:20 CEST 2006

Ok people, thanks for all the suggestions so far.

We decided to use the LanBox LCE, and some Arduino's.
However we now face quite some riddles on how to go about it...
I wonder if someone has even used a LanBox on pd, afaics there is no
mention of it on the list...
Below, I will describe how I plan to do it.

My idea of the set up so far:

1) LanBoxLCE and 12 channel switchpack for the motors and lamps control
signals (out)
2) arduino's + relay cards to monitor the end-of-line switches, other
sensors in the space..etc.
3) all programming on pd, running on a linux (apodio) desktop computer.

questions, questions, questions:

1) So I want to use the lanbox simply as an interface to send 'on/off'
control signals to the switchpack from pd.
Do I need the [lanbox] pd external ? if yes, where can I find it ? Is
there a compiled version somewhere (linux/windows) ?
How do I configure the LanBox, is there a simple preset that I can just
upload to it ?
'Read me.txt' says I have to update the firmware, the CD contains
'LCE-firmware v2.06.dat', but I have no clue what to do with it.
'LCeditPlus tutorial.html' speaks about LanBox-LC, only, not LCE...

2) I want to read incoming data from 2 or 3 arduino's inputs and use
that to influence the output signals.
I have some problems testing them on windows now:
when I leave it plugged in and restart the computer, apparently the
arduino is regarded as a mouse that goes crazy.
The mousepointer jumps around the screen randomly and clicks
everywhere...(strange but true!)
On Linux I still have to get the arduino to work...
In the pd patch for testing, all inputs seem to react somewhat together.
There is a photoresistor connected to one inlet, but the others seem to
react to it too.

3) The LCedit+ 3.4 software for the lanbox is windows only, but I gather
I just need it to initialize the lanbox once, after wich I can just send
it control signals from pd on Linux? There are examples for MaxMSP, not
for pd. Should I switch to MaxMSP ?

Hope someone can shed some light on this...

Thank you,
Tim