[Pd] searching for externals in OSX

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Sep 7 07:06:39 CEST 2006

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> On 9/6/06, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
>> > Am I going about this wrong? I looked up OSX shell files online, and it
>> > seems they always have to be called from a terminal.  I'd sooner explain
>> > how to open Pd and load my patch than to explain how to find a terminal
>> > window and type in the shell file name.
>> The quick solution for that is to make a OSX icon that launches Pd in a
>> terminal and give that to your users.
> I can't figure out how to launch Pd from the OSX command line.  It's
> in an .app file, but the name of that file does nothing.

in OSX, a .app is a folder. In the Finder you can Ctrl+Click and do "Show
Package Contents". Then inside that there's a folder called "Contents"
(don't ask me why there's that extra level...), inside of which there's a
folder "MacOS", inside of which there is the file "pd" which is a real OSX
executable (in Mach-O format), which you can click on to start "pd" in a
terminal. This also allows to start pd several times, unlike clicking on a
.app folder.

Similarly you can open a terminal and just do:

   Pd.app/Contents/MacOS/pd

I say this from memory, this might be slightly off.