[PD] Operative systems and puredata

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Sep 7 15:34:30 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Javier García hat gesagt: // Javier García wrote:

> a week ago, a user of this list gave this link,
>
> http://artefacte.org/pd/
>
> to have a grid for triggering videos in our pd patches.
>

> The problem about it (at least for me) is it works only with Linux.
>

> Is there any way to make ALL "things" for puredata to run them always
> indepently of the platform?
>
> If yes? Why some people do it that way?

Many people don't have MS-Windows machines. I don't. Many other people
don't have Mac-machines and many people don't have Linux machines. So
it's hard to offer binaries for all three operating systems for a
single person.

What many developers do provide is the source code. Most of the time
the source code can be made to compile and run on every of the three
major operating systems. I guess it is possible for the videogrid as
well, but I didn't check. I don't own MS-Windows anyways.

So if you don't want to wait for someone else to compile for whatever
operating system you use, one way out would be to learn how to compile
source code and how to install the neccessary compiler environment
yourself.

I know, this isn't a perfect advice, but if you for a moment think
about us Linux users: We cannot even get the source code to a lot of
the MS-Windows or Mac applications (like Max/MSP, Reactor, vvvv etc.)
so we don't even have the chance to make it run natively on the OS we
use.

(Of course another solution may be to run Linux. With pure:dyne this
doesn't even require a harddisk installation.)

Ciao