[PD] Operative systems and puredata

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 22:09:18 CEST 2006

I had a conversation with a PD developer who suggested that a majority
of actual PD users (not developers) are on WinCrap. I'm not sure if
this is worldwide, or more in the USA. egardless, based on what I see
on the list here, it appears that most developers are on Linux
exclusively. This causes some serious splits and problems for the
community.

At least here, all PC's come with Wincrap, so it's certainly more
accessible to the average person. The average working person is surely
not going to have enough knowledge to run a Linux OS. I'm far above
average and I always run into problems. Yes, it's the fault of
monopoly capitalism that this is so - but this is hardly the fault of
the average person, and OS elitism is not going to help or change
things.

I suggest, that developers ought to consider forming teams, and find
people who will help with alternative operating systems not available
to them. If it's not really viable to compile something for all
systems, so be it - but I wonder if in many cases, it's more the case
that Linux developers just don't care about the other OS's.

Btw, if someone can tell me where I can learn to compile for win32, I
might even be willing to participate in such things. I coded a little
C++, but I just remember clicking on something in my IDE and the
compiled program came out. I'm quite certain it's harder than that.
And, if some expensive commercial software is needed for this task, I
have no problem stealing the software to do this (assuming it's from a
big company).

***

In regards to Pure:Dyne. I tried a recent version two days ago.

First of all, it looks really cool. So far so good.

But, as is so typical in the Open Source world, there's almost no
documentation. When I try to open PD, nothing happens. Fluxus did
open, however. So, once again, I'm stuck. If anybody knows how the
stuff works, that would be very nice.

~David