[PD] Gem 0.91 CVS bug ?

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Sep 7 22:43:35 CEST 2006

Zitat von Jerome Tuncer <columbiatwo at free.fr>:

> Hello list...
>
> Don't if it's the right place to post for such a thing, sorry if not...
>
> I run Pd 0.40-test7 on Debian Linux and when loading most of Gem's
> pix_ objecs help I get an error in the term running pd which locks
> all of pd functions : menus are still available but do not execute
> any actions when clicked...
>
> The error is of the form :
>
> *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0xa5d2fb68 ***
>
> Except that the pointer varies from times to times of course...
>
> As stated I only get the crash with pix_* objects' help patches.
> Instantiating the objects themselves in a blank window doesn't seem
> to cause any problems...
>
> Any ideas on where it can come from?

yes, this is a known issue on debian/testing systems.
unfortunately it is not a bug in Gem but rather a problem with the
combination of libstdc++ and nvidia-drivers (i guess you are using them)

Gem uses exception-handling for various errors, like not being able to
load an image with [pix_image] or not finding a FreeFrame-plugin.
the above mentioned bug crashes applications which throw an error (even
though it gets caught)

this bug is already filed in the debian bug-tracker, though it doesn't
seem to be high-priority.
there are some workarounds, which you can find at

mfg,asdr
IOhannes