[PD] Operative systems and puredata

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Sep 8 00:06:37 CEST 2006

Hallo,
David Powers hat gesagt: // David Powers wrote:

> I had a conversation with a PD developer who suggested that a
> majority of actual PD users (not developers) are on WinCrap. I'm not
> sure if this is worldwide, or more in the USA. egardless, based on
> what I see on the list here, it appears that most developers are on
> Linux exclusively. This causes some serious splits and problems for
> the community.

Most computer users are on MS-Windows anyways. As I don't have
MS-Windows and as I don't intend to ever buy MS-Windows again, I just
cannot help with anything that is specific to MS-Windows. Someone else
has to do support for that, I'm sorry.

However I have to reject the reproach (correct wording?) of elitism.
In reality it's completely the other way around: As a Linux user one
still has to deal with pressure from large parts of the computer
industry. I know that it can be hard to get a Linux system running in
a world dominated by MS-Windows where new hardware (at first) only
runs on MS-Windows and it's expecially hard if someone grew up on
MS-Windows and just expects things to behave in certain MS-Windowsish ways.

But instead of working as an unpaid help desk for Microsoft's products
I decided to work as an unpaid help desk for people struggling with
running Linux and other open source software.

I see this as the opposite of elitism.

Ciao