[PD] OT: Computer music grad school

Marius Schebella marius.schebella at chello.at
Mon Sep 11 08:51:21 CEST 2006

I think for Austria it is EUR 726,72 per semester for students from non
EU contries (with exceptions - for nationalities from poor countries it
is free). things are changing slightly every year.
for art universities there is a restriction to a certain number of study
places, which means you have to make an entrance examination. most
students contact their major professor before.
and your undergrad will probably not be accepted, because Austria has no
real undergrad studies like B.A., you mostly finish with a magister
(M.A. equiv.). this may also change in the future and is already now
changing. all this is very different to GB and US, because there you can
rely on undergrads from whatever university and also work experience,
and you could still join a master course (correct me if I´m wrong).
The question is, which university to recommend in Austria... the IEM in
Graz is a part of the Technical Unniversity. you will study sound
engineering or something technical to have courses there.
In Vienna there is the "University for Music and performing Arts" and
the "Angewandte". I think they show Pd once to students, but do not
teach it (thomas grill teaches there). still, some students work with Pd.
In overall, there are not many (about 2400, tendency downwards) students
from the US in Austria.

marius.