[PD] pd externals load/unload

alberto.zin at poste.it alberto.zin at poste.it
Mon Sep 11 17:24:42 CEST 2006

Hi Thomas,

Your answers raised me one more (simple?) question:
If I want to load the whole PD exec in the debugger
I imagine that PD must be compiled with the "debug" flag
(-g for gcc) activated, am I correct?
At the moment I didn't try to compile
PD from the sources yet (I use the H.C.S. extended
precompiled version on both Linux and WinXP,
that I don't think are compiled with -g ...)

Thanks,

Alberto

Thomas Grill wrote:

Hi Alberto,

> Q1: suppose I'm working on an external:
> start pd, load it, control its behaviour, destroy it,
> change the code, recompile it, replace it
> *in the same session of PD*: is this supposed
> to crash pd?
> This happens to me, and the external debugging process means
> open/close pd million times (number varies according
> to coding skills ;-) Are there shortcuts to this?

it won't crash pd, because once an object (with a certain
name) is
loaded, it won't be loaded again in the same session. The
code stays
active until you restart pd. The OS will decide if you can
replace
the binary file of the external object in use. I think Windows
doesn't allow that.

> Q2: If I have two externals with the same name, one
> in the same directory of the opened patch
> (which contains an instantiation of it) and the
> other in the pd search path, which one is loaded?

you can use -verbose to see the search order. I think the
one in the
patcher dir is loaded first, but i'm just guessing....

greetings,
Thomas

--
Thomas Grill