[PD] OT: Computer music grad school

Kyle Klipowicz kyleklip at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 18:58:04 CEST 2006

Hi Chuck~

In my (recently finished) undergraduate experience, I learned that
PhD's are very particular about the research that they proctor.  They
are unlikely to be interested in learning something new (like Pure
Data) if it isn't in their narrowly defined research field.  They'd
rather spend their precious research hours on something likely to
guarantee tenure.

So when I tried to find a research prof at my school to support my
learning Pd, I wasn't satisfied.  Bottom line, if you want to learn
something specific, investigate the staff at the institution of your
choice.  If they are not already ears-deep in what you're dying to
learn, it's a far cry that they will change their deeply-ingrained
tendencies to accommodate you.

~Kyle