[Pd] Pd to CV for a Moog (OT)

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 00:05:23 CEST 2006

I'm writing a proposal for independent study at my school, and my goal
is to take a few lessons in tuning from this microtonal composer,
compose a piece using my Pd sequencer, and somehow use the output to
drive the newly refurbished Moog at my school (supposedly one of the
first 5 Moogs ever made) to create a finished track.

MIDI-to-CV converters are expensive, and of course MIDI is already
inadequate.  So I'm thinking of circuits I've looked at before and
wondering if plain old audio from [sig~] objects could be made to
represent voltage, from -1 to 1, or 0 to 1 with -1 being off, and
externally converted to the proper scale for CV input to the Moog.
The music tech supervisor has added a module that makes the thing
polyphonic, which I suppose I'll have to understand to do it.
I guess my other option is to just use audio output, and process it
through the Moog's modules.

Can anyone make any suggestions?  How can one interface between Pd and
control voltage?  Could I jury-rig regular audio output to do it?

Thanks.

-Chuckk

--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."