[PD] datastruct newbie mistake

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Tue Sep 12 06:06:28 CEST 2006

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 06:13:46PM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Sep 2006, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> >Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> >>Note that there's also a third special field name: w for width.
> >Yes, that's true. It's only used when you plot array elements, which
> >isn't covered in my paper, so I left it out. However it occured to me
> >that it is unfortunate that I still used a field called "w" in another
> >context without mentioning its specialty.
>
> I don't know about your paper, it's just that while rewriting Miller's
> code I have to deal with a bunch of lines that are reading y, x, w. I
> still haven't really tried datastructures at all.

I recommend you learn the ins and outs of datastructures if you are
rewriting Pd; most especially if you are adding lots of GUI stuff in
DesireData. It's possible that some of the GUI things you are doing with
DD could be done with Pd itself to the benefit of the larger community. I
can't imagine someone re-writing or forking a piece of software without
understanding one of it's major features.

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx
http://mccormick.cx