[PD] how to open max patches via cyclone??

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Sep 12 19:37:06 CEST 2006

On Aug 29, 2006, at 3:46 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> Kevin McCoy hat gesagt: // Kevin McCoy wrote:
>
>> A-HA - thanks.  I don't have that - just cyclone.pd
>> I knew you had been doing this all the time recently so I was kind
>> of hoping
>> you'd answer as well.  Wonder why it doesn't come with Pd-
>> extended.  I
>> should just get tough and build what I need myself, it's kind of
>> tricky to
>> guess what does/doesn't work with extended builds despite their
>> usefulness
>> for most things.
>
> Generally it's not needed to load cyclone as a library: pd-extended
> has this philosophy to build most externals as single objects, and
> that's good most of the time: Cyclone is apt to produce a lot of name
> clashes with other objects (prepend, urn, etc.) and with single object
> files these are easier to sort out by just moving files around.
>
> However importing Max patches with cyclone requires the library
> version of it, probably because it does some funky magic behind the
> curtains. If you can just build the cyclone library somehow and only
> load it, when you want to import patches, that should be enough. Oh,
> and move away the cyclone.pd from your path, this will only interfere
> with the library loading. (Probably the pddp-meta patches should not
> use the library name itself, but something like "cyclone-meta.pd" to
> colelct meta-data.)

Sounds like the single-file-multi-class cyclone.pd_linux should be
included in Pd-extended if there really is some specific
functionality that is only available in that format.  Its just a
matter of someone doing the work.  Any volunteers?

My guess is that the dummy stuff is what is included in the
cyclone.pd_linux.  Is that essential?  There is also the "cyclone"
command line utility, anyone know what that does?

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and
during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man
for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      - General
Smedley Butler