[PD] [urn] in Zexy vs. [urn] in maxlib, cyclone and Max/MSP

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Sep 12 19:44:18 CEST 2006

On Aug 30, 2006, at 9:32 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> Sounds like a prime candidate for abstractions/purepd, albeit with
>> the regular name, [urn].
>
> It's now part of RTC-lib under the "german" name "urne". I don't
> intend to add more dust to the namespace pollution of urn by calling
> it the same again.
>
> (RTC-lib in the end will probably get a namespace like "rtc" anyways.)

I don't think adding an "e" to the name will make things any
clearer.  The namespace prefix already distiguishes them.  You could
use a more descriptive name rather than just adding an "e".

>> But as long as these differences are documented, I don't think its
>> necessarily a problem to have different versions in different
>> libraries.  Ideally, they would have different, more descriptive
>> names...
>
> Problem is: If you write a library like RTC-lib, you don't know, which
> version of an external like urn people have installed. I'm struggling
> with this problem since a long time in RRADical. Ideally all "urn" and
> "prepend" and "scale" and "counter" objects would behave the same, but
> they don't.  The only way out currently is to not use these objects at
> all and to use different objects, that is, objects like "zexy/urn",
> "maxlib_scale" or "urne". A future way may be "from cyclone import
> urn" but it's not there yet.

A local namespace for each patch would be very very nice.  Kzrysztof
sketched this out a while back in an email to pd-dev, its just a
matter of someone implementing it.  For now, using the library prefix
works.

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams