[PD] note data record / playback

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Sep 12 22:15:17 CEST 2006

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Kyle Klipowicz wrote:

> Ah, so is the [pointer] object the same thing as a C pointer (*ptr)
> traversing a linked list?

It's the closest that you can get in pd, but it's not directly a C
pointer:

1. [pointer] holds one A_POINTER atom like [f] does for A_FLOAT and
    [symbol] for A_SYMBOL.

2. an A_POINTER points to a t_gpointer, which is an intermediate thing
    that makes it safe to use pointers to things that may disappear
    from memory. (outside pd it's called "weak pointer" or "weakref")

3. a t_gpointer can only point to a t_scalar or to the element of a
    t_array. at the same time it also gives access to the canvas containing
    the scalar or the array containing the element.

However, GEM and GridFlow pretends that it's a direct pointer because
Miller gave us no other choice.

>  I knew the had the same name, but since so many things are named
> strangely in Pd (right Matju?) I couldn't be sure.

when using Pd it's important to distinguish between pointers, pointers and
pointers, as well as between objects, objects, objects and objects, and
also canvases vs canvases, but I shall not forget the opposition between
lists and lists, and the one between pd, pd, pd and pd. (anyone up for
some disambiguation?)