[PD] note data record / playback

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Sep 13 00:41:13 CEST 2006

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> and the one between pd, pd, pd and pd. (anyone up for some
>> disambiguation?)
> Don't forget about "Pd" which is the official way to abbreviate "Pure
> Data" (sic!) if you accept Miller's papers since 1996 as reference.

That's another problem: I was talking about ambiguity, not about aliases.

Ambiguity: "pd" can mean:

1. the Pure Data environment itself

2. the [pd] class, for making subpatch

3. the pd receiver, for system messages, like [; pd dsp 1<

4. a t_pd, which is what would be called "an object" in the terminology of
other languages. However, I can think of five meanings (not four) for the
word "object" in pd, and I haven't really searched for them.

Aliases: when you download "Pure Data" or "Pd" from Miller, it's in a
tarball whose filename starts with "pd". To start it, run the command
"pd" in Linux or "Pd" in OSX. Community sites about it are called
"puredata" or "pure-data", but GEM's SF directory is called "pd-gem",
and mailing-lists are called "pd-list" "pd-dev" ...

However, most of the time I write it PureData so that it looks like one
word yet also like two; and so that it looks like a "proper noun"; and
because I'd rather call it "PureData" than "Pd" because the latter sounds
like "pédé", which is a public (or pubic) relation problem in French.