[PD] note data record / playback

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Sep 13 12:31:31 CEST 2006

Hallo,
David Powers hat gesagt: // David Powers wrote:

> What would be the comparitive efficiency, of keeping track of data
> with pyext and a simple Python script, versus creating a data
> structure to hold the data?
>
> Many tasks that are annoying to do in Pure Data, take about two
> minutes to do in Python. At least for me.

It's no problem to use pyext for handling sequence data.  I would
probably do the actual sequencing, that is, the timed creation of
events, outside pyext using [del], [pipe] and [metro] as usual. I
would use pyext to hold and modify the "score" as a kind of [textfile]
on steroids.

Your gain would be - besides simpler patches - that you don't need to
pass so many messages around, as you can do a lot of stuff directly
inside your pyext object. This can be especially handy for doing list
operations which are quite common in sequencing. In Pd and with
[list]-abs lists get unpacked and repacked all the time, which can be
costly. In pyext you could just store lists or lists of lists or
dictionaries of lists and output them after processing them inside
Python.

I also used the PDContainers as textfile-replacements, however they
lack the flexibility of pyext when it comes to modify the stored data
without passing them through Pd's message flow, so if you want to
achieve this, you should use pyext (or one of the other embedded
languages like gridflow, Snd/Scheme, pf, k_cext etc.)

Ciao