[PD] MOD Trackers (was Pd to CV for a Moog) (OT)

Christopher Charles schraubzwingenhalterung at web.de
Wed Sep 13 15:35:29 CEST 2006

Kyle Klipowicz wrote:
> It's pretty awesome that so many of us grew up using MOD trackers as
> our first (or early) computer music environments.  If I were a strict
> empiricist with no knowledge of logical proof, I'd boldly say that MOD
> tracker => Pd.  But, alas, so many of my heyday tracking crew
> haven't yet taken the plunge, no matter how often I try to market for Pd.
>
> ~Kyle

well, "MOD tracker => pd" is really a rather bold statement (if it can
be considered a statement at all ;).
the fixed-grid-edit nature of classic trackers and the modular patcher
paradigm of pd are not obviously compatible; if we speak in evolutionary
terms, we might be looking for a missing link. to me, the missing link
between trackers and pd was definitely jeskola buzz, an environment with
samplers, synths and effects, which could be chained in a modular way.
the sequencing was done in a tracker interface, but the signal flow was
more pd-like. those were the days...

charlie