[PD] datastruct newbie mistake

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Sep 13 22:58:06 CEST 2006

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Chris McCormick wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 06:13:46PM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> I don't know about your paper, it's just that while rewriting Miller's
>> code I have to deal with a bunch of lines that are reading y, x, w. I
>> still haven't really tried datastructures at all.
> I recommend you learn the ins and outs of datastructures if you are
> rewriting Pd;

Well, I'm sort of learning them now, though not at all the way most would
learn about them. By reading and rewriting the source I get to know a
bunch of functions with 11 or 14 or 19 arguments to them.

> most especially if you are adding lots of GUI stuff in DesireData. It's
> possible that some of the GUI things you are doing with DD could be done
> with Pd itself to the benefit of the larger community.

Part of the problem with that is that a rewrite of the IEMGUI classes
was one of the earliest things done in DesireData. I don't recall many
suggesting back then that IEMGUI could be rewritten in structs. If anyone
wants to attempt to do it, it would be cool.

> I can't imagine someone re-writing or forking a piece of software
> without understanding one of it's major features.

If it's so major a feature then how come more people aren't using it? I
believe that GEM is much more of a major feature of PureData.