[Pd] active and tot not right in pd-extended

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 02:46:33 CEST 2006

Unfortunately, professional musicians who aren't programmers can't
rely on free open source software at this point.  I tried, though I
was leery about Lilypond, I gave it a chance and got pretty interested
in it.  Then for whatever reason it began arbitrarily leaving out
ties.  Whatever drawbacks Windows and Mac have, I've never had that
happen in Finale or Sibelius.  The Lilypond group didn't care and
didn't appreciate me mentioning it.  I was really gung-ho about OSS,
but if I need something by tomorrow I need it by tomorrow.  I also had
problems with Rosegarden et al.
No open-source programmer wants to spend weeks or months making
infinitesimal changes to an interface to shave seconds off some
shmoe's production time, for free.  And that shmoe (me, for instance)
is likely to rely on a system that has software designed to shave
seconds off his production time.
I suspect this is changing.

On 9/13/06, Kyle Klipowicz <kyleklip at gmail.com> wrote:
> Probably because once people learn to program and if they don't work
> for a commercial software firm, they'd rather leverage (and extend)
> their knowledge with the open codebase that GNU/Lnix provides instead
> of tinkering on Windows.
>
> Kind of a Catch-22, eh?
>
> On 9/13/06, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:
> >

> > Even better, how about fixing this problem in the Pd-extended installer?
> > There are a lot of really trivial bugs in the Windows distro that would be
> > easy to fix and make life much better for Windows users.  Its just that no
> > one seems to want to work on Windows.
> >
> > .hc
>
> --
>
> http://theradioproject.com
> http://perhapsidid.blogspot.com

"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."
-Theodore Roosevelt