[Pd] active and tot not right in pd-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Sep 14 16:29:18 CEST 2006

On Sep 13, 2006, at 5:09 PM, <martin.peach at sympatico.ca>
<martin.peach at sympatico.ca> wrote:

>> From: "David Powers" <cyborgk at gmail.com>
>> Date: 2006/09/13 Wed PM 05:00:55 EST
>> To: pd-list at iem.at
>> Subject: Re: [Pd] active and tot not right in pd-extended
>>
>> Is there documentation, of how to manually change the registry, and
>> what the settings do?
>>
>> Those of us who are attempting to use both Miller's PD, and extended,
>> have found we must manually edit the registry. It's a little bit of a
>> problem, since I'm not 100% sure what I should change...
>>
>> I am a little bit against using the registry, for the above reason:
>> Those of us who are running more than one install of PD, are
>> ending up
>> with registry entries that apply either to one, or the other.
>>
>> Some kind of "config" or ".ini" or whatever file, would make it far
>> easier to change options for one install, without messing up the
>> other.
>>

> I agree totally. I see no reason to mess with the registry. Surely
> a text (or better: XML) file would be a platform-independent way of
> saving settings that  doesn't require calling a

The idea is to be platform-specific.  The .pdrc is the old platform-
independent config file.

> "sysadmin" for help. The registry tends to fill up with irrelevant
> obsolete keys that end up mysteriously interfering with the proper
> operation of the software. How many users know where to find the pd
> settings in the registry? What happens if you have more than one pd
> on the system? Or  what happens if you delete one pd and then
> install an older version?

How many users know how to edit this proposed config file?  Just
about how many know how to edit the registry settings for Pd.  The
FAQ can provide some help for getting people up to speed.  We need to
build on existing knowledge so that people don't have learn Pd-
specific things for trivial operations.  For what Pd does with it,
the registry is simple to use.  Plus if you learn the registry in the
process of figuring out manual Pd configs, then you can apply that
knowledge to just about every other Windows program.

.hc