[Pd] active and tot not right in pd-extended

martin.peach at sympatico.ca martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 14 19:23:36 CEST 2006

> To many Pd users, any text config file will be arcane.  How often to
> you directly edit text files for your Mail program?  Your word
> processor?  Any GUI app?  Pd is a GUI-based program, any kind of
> config editing should be possible via the GUI.  Then we would have to
> think about the underlying storage format.

Of course. The configuration is usually done in the GUI. In Pd the GUI is implemented in tcl/tk. Reading and writing the configuration is done by c code that's platform-specific. I think it makes more sense if that code works with human-readable text files ('simple' xml is human-readable). Maybe the path to the config file would be different according to platform but the file format doesn't need to be different.
Isn't OSX already using xml for its own config files?

Martin