[Pd] active and tot not right in pd-extended

martin.peach at sympatico.ca martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 14 20:59:34 CEST 2006

> >  Then we would have to think about the underlying storage format.
>
> i agree. i'm sick of library-specific hacks on cramming what they need to store in the .pd format. or user-level hacks using symbol manipulation objects. it's time for a format that can be at least say, 80% useful and flexible and diffable moving forward. RDF anyone?

RDF seems like overkill here. Simple xml with a start tag and end tag for each item, one item per line, should work fine everywhere.
As an example in my registry I have under
My Computer->HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Pd:
audioapi 3
audiobuf 70
audioindev1 0 2
audiooutdev1 0 2
defeatrt 0
flags
loadlib1 Gem
nloadlib 1
noaudioon False
noaoudioout False
nomidiin True
nomidiout True
npath 0
rate 44100
standardpath 1
verbose 0

...which could be xmled as:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone='yes'?>
<!-- comments about Pd configuration -->
<audioapi> 3 </audioapi>
<audiobuf> 70 </audiobuf>
<audioindev1> 0 2 </audioindev1>
<audiooutdev1> 0 2 </audiooutdev1>
<defeatrt> 0 </defeatrt>
<flags></flags>
<loadlib1> Gem </loadlib1>
<nloadlib> 1 </nloadlib>
<noaudioon> False </noaudioon>
<noaoudioout> False </noaoudioout>
<nomidiin> True </nomidiin>
<nomidiout> True </nomidiout>
<npath> 0 </npath>
<rate> 44100 </rate>
<standardpath> 1 </standardpath>
<verbose> 0 </verbose>

...although I would change <loadlib1> to just <loadlib> and allow as many of them as you like instead of ten.

Martin