[Pd] active and tot not right in pd-extended

martin.peach at sympatico.ca martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 14 22:40:01 CEST 2006

> You have a point there. The Preferences panes often don't work at all
> correctly, I'm not really sure why. For example, I added a flag in
> startups, but then the flag stayed on afterwards, until I edited the
> registry.

On Windows I found you have to Apply the settings and Save them (a couple of times for good measure) before they stick.

> There's also a limit in the amount of libraries and directories you
> can add, which is a SERIOUS shortcoming.

The available edit windows in tcl/tk are a bit limited. It seems like you can either have a one-line editable field or a whole rectangle that you can enter any text into. With the one-line fields currently used there isn't enough room for more than 10 unless someone adds scrollbars to the window. Just entering a list of libs in a text field is not so far different from editing a text file. Maybe a button "Add Lib" which pops up an line edit box. An uneditable list of existing libraries with "Edit" buttons next to them?
Same thing for paths.

> However, this still leaves the problem of having two PD's installed at
> once. Any suggestions on how that should be done?

If each Pd had its own prefs file...
http://wiki.tcl.tk/3919 has a code example in tcl that could be modified and put in pd.tk as an interface to an xml file.

> The reason I had to
> install two PD's, is I'm using a brand new experimental version of
> Gem, that crashes PD-extended. But help fiiles don't work for me in
> Miller's PD, so every time I want to check a help file, I open
> PD-extended and use that browser. I am essentially using Miller's PD,
> with all the extended stuff dumped into the extra section of it, as
> Patco suggested.
>
> Anyway, finally, even though I edited the registry by guessing, I'm
> still mostly clueless what the entries do. Any chance of getting it
> documented? Is it documented in some other form I just don't realize?

You can look at the source in s_main.c, the function sys_argparse has all the possible entries in quotes, but they are not explained and also don't seem to correspond exactly with their names in the registry.

Martin