[PD] MOD Trackers (was Pd to CV for a Moog) (OT)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Sep 15 03:49:12 CEST 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

>> with care to prefix with the "visual", but of course it doesn't even
>> have to be that interface. The thing that is really Puredata is the bit
>> we dont see, the engine plugging together and executing the objects. In
>> that way it's like a bytecode
> hmm, i would rather say that the _language_ Pd is the thing we DO see,
> and not the interpreter that is executing it.

I would say that the pd language is both the .pd file format and the
visual representation for it; that one is a "purely written form" while
another is a "drawn form". It's similar to how languages have both a
written form and a spoken form, but instead distinguishing between two
kinds of visual form: one that works just by sign sequences... words,
sentences, paragraphs, in a one-dimensional sequence; and one that works
by drawing two-dimensional relationships between elements.

I could make various kinds of diagrams (entity-relationship, ...) out of
English or French sentences, and I could argue that those diagrams are a
form of the English or French language. (the same would hold for most any
human language).

If you think of the C/C++ language, it's largely a free-form language:
with some exceptions, the whitespace is ignored. In that sense it's
written in a one-dimensional way. However, that's not how people write
C/C++: they use indentation and lots of linebreaks. Those things are using
the two-dimensional space. However there are higher degrees of utilisation
of the two-dimensional space, e.g. PureData.

I tend to format my C/C++ code in a more two-dimensional way than other
people, which can piss them off; it also renders automatic reformatters
useless/harmful, as they would destroy some visual information in my code.