[PD] MOD Trackers (was Pd to CV for a Moog) (OT)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Sep 15 04:02:35 CEST 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> we once had a blind programmer,

Mario Lang. I knew him before I knew where Graz is and even before any
PureData. I met him on IRC in 2001 because we were both writing in Ruby.

> who was very interested in Pd. we therefore tried to get this topic
> ("using Pd as a blind person")

Chun Lee has made great efforts in making Pd (DesireData) more
keyboard-accessible, and I've helped him too. I've come up with a system
of visual navigation using diagonal quadrants, which is super easy to
figure out and use. For Mario, the concept of connectedness would be more
useful: imagine yourself going through patchcords, both upstream and
downstream. We haven't implemented this one yet.

a voice interface to pd would be interesting to us, in the sense that I
would be ready to help someone integrate voice recognition in DesireData.
The voice interface could be made to be sufficient for doing everything
there is to do in DesireData, though I suppose that on average, people who
want to use voice will want to combine it with keyboard and/or mouse.

> we therefore tried to get this topic ("using Pd as a blind person") on
> the agenda of but it has been ignored by all relevant people (most of
> them probably don't even remember they were asked about it).

It'd be easier to make a spot for it at a conference if there was some
kind of demo program (or even just a paper) supporting the topic.

> he now uses SuperCollider...

(Possibly in part because the syntax of it is very similar to Ruby...)