[PD] MOD Trackers (was Pd to CV for a Moog) (OT)

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 04:35:02 CEST 2006

On 9/13/06, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, padawan12 wrote:
>
> > Although Miller and others talk about Pd as a 'language', always with
> > quote marks,
>
> I don't use the quotemarks - I mean, not those that suppose some kind of
> illegitimacy. In a wide meaning of the word, a language doesn't have to be
> something verbal or written with letters. Though the etymology points back
> to a part of the mouth, most would consider the phrase "written language"
> to not be a contradiction of terms. Here I used quotemarks only as
> delimiters of a phrase (like I usually do anyway), and not to belittle the
> phrase.

A well-read man on a poetry newsgroup once told me that thought is
when one part of the universe imitates another part, and language is
an imitation of that imitation.  I thought about that a long time and
wasn't able to refute it.

Supposedly William J. Sidis could learn a language in one day.
"At the age of four, Sidis learned Russian, French, German, and
Hebrew, and soon after, Turkish and Armenian."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_James_Sidis
My first word was "kitty".

> > it doesn't have that syntactic structure
>
> What's missing in it, in order to have a syntax?
>
> > or computational causality either.
>
> How can Pd execute a patch then?
>
> I don't see a lack of causality.

I would only say that it isn't one-dimensional.  It's still for the
most part deterministic, right?  I mean there's never any real
randomness- I think.  The fact that it can follow many paths
simultaneously doesn't make it non-syntactical, just awesome.

-Chuckk

--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."