[Pd] active and tot not right in pd-extended

Anders Friberg andersf at speech.kth.se
Fri Sep 15 10:03:56 CEST 2006

I completey agree that it is better to have local config files. I think
that everything that belongs to a certain program should stay in that
directory. The windows concept of spreading your seed in as many places
as possible doesn't work. I have been using windows computers for more
than a decade now and this has always been a problem. I love programs
(usually freeware) that doesn't need to be installed such as Virtual dub
or Wavesurfer. Wavesurfer is another example of a Tcl application that
is available for all three platforms (including source files). It is a
audio software for in particular speech analysis. Now I am not to
familiar with how it works but I think it keeps the setting files in the
user directory. There is no need to alter the registry and the user
doesn't  notice the difference. I you want you can save several config
files each specifying a certain environment. The only thing missing is
that you can't find in on the start menu and there is no file types
associated with it. I can easily live with that. Also, if you want to
modify the default configuration of a program it should be local to the
user and not applied to all users on the same computer. If it is not a
professional program I think it is much better sticking to the simplest
solution possible since a "proper" integration into the windows
environment seems to be a full-time work in itself.
In the case of pd it is even more problematic since there exist several
parallel versions. Life would have been easier for me at least if it was
possible to have different pd-extended installed at the same time. And
as has been pointed out, the registry should not be touched other than
in emergency. A text file works equally good. What do you think the
system guys at the university answer when I say that my computer is not
working and I have been messing with the registry?
A windows user
/Anders

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, martin.peach at sympatico.ca wrote:
>
>> As long as the 'xml' is kept simple (no nesting, no dtd lookups) a
>> parser should be doable in tcl, maybe a tcl xml parser already exists(?)
>

> DesireData has two config files, the client-only options being in a
> file called ".ddrc", which is in Tcl list format, pretty-printed. It
> works using key-value pairs. It would support any kind of nesting, if
> any option needed to be stored as a nested-list. This is rather close
> to the LISP style. It looks like this:
>
> http://pure-data.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/pure-data/pd/src/defaults.ddrc?pathrev=devel_0_39
>

> and this is arguably easier to read and write than XML.
>
>  _ _ __ ___ _____ ________ _____________ _____________________ ...
> | Mathieu Bouchard - tél:+1.514.383.3801 - http://artengine.ca/matju
> | Freelance Digital Arts Engineer, Montréal QC Canada

Anders Friberg
Associate Professor
Speech, Music and Hearing, KTH
Lindstedtsvägen 24