[PD] 2007 Spark Festival Call for Works (Minneapolis, MN USA)

michael at berkowski.net michael at berkowski.net
Fri Sep 15 20:52:06 CEST 2006

Quoting Chuckk Hubbard <badmuthahubbard at gmail.com>:

>> 1. Concert works: Interactive works for acoustic instruments and
>> electroacoustics (performance forces are available, TBA)
>> Electroacoustic works with and without performers. Performance venues
>> will accommodate 2-8 channel works and works with video. Although
>> there is no strict limit of duration, pieces of fifteen minutes or
>> less are encouraged.
>
> Does this include non-acoustic electronic works?  If the only category
> open to pure electronic pieces is the club music category, that seems
> kind of limiting.
> The only instrument that can play my tunings is the sequencer I wrote
> in Pure Data, and my sonata is definitely not club music.

The key is 'Electroacoustic works with and without performers.' In
this context, 'Electroacoustic' means pretty much anything involving
electronics in any way.  Typically, we have three or four concerts
which take place in a concert hall or auditorium and consist largely
of works involving live performers in some way. In addition to those,
we have a couple of concerts for works on fixed media which take place
somewhere equipped for multichannel playback.  Sometimes these happen
in a traditional concert hall, but we have also held them in gallery
space.  Depending on what we have to program, these get mixed up
together as well. All of this counts as concert music, so by all means
submit your works.

Best,
Michael