[PD] FFT + dac~ delay issue

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Sep 15 23:00:32 CEST 2006

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> It highlights the fact that the thing observed is never the
> thing-in-itself, for one.  That no matter how well you know any thing or
> system, it's still only your own mind that you are knowing.

No, because it's not your own mind that you are observing.
You really get to know things and systems.

It's the concept of the thing-in-itself that has to be abandoned; and
then, knowing something is redefined as having understood that thing
through the relations that you can have with it and make it have with
other things.

However, in the process of eliminating the concept of the thing-in-itself,
THEN what you are doing is getting to know your own mind (and other
minds). It's a process of understanding why you had that opposition
between thing-in-itself and relations-between-things, how that opposition
is not that useful and how your mental model can become simpler by
eliminating it.

Something like the concept of the thing-in-itself can appear in
mathematics and computer programming, but that's because those things
focus on invention rather than discovery. (ok, discovery can happen there,
but it always relies on things that have been purely invented before.)

> If there is such a thing, and it can never be accurately measured, then
> whether it is "particle" or "wave" isn't knowable or relevant.

Right: and by abandoning the stereotypes of "particle" and "wave" you are
getting to know yourself (or how thought processes work). Analogies have
to be abandoned when they stop working but we are often attached to them
more than what we should.