[PD] FFT + dac~ delay issue

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Sep 16 04:01:25 CEST 2006

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> On 9/15/06, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:
>> Something like the concept of the thing-in-itself can appear in
>> mathematics and computer programming, but that's because those things
>> focus on invention rather than discovery. (ok, discovery can happen there,
>> but it always relies on things that have been purely invented before.)
> I think mathematics and programming appear that way because they deal
> with things that are imaginary.

"Imaginary" matches my use of the word "invention".

> In reality, five oranges, for instance, are not equal to another five
> oranges.

No, it depends on the meaning of the word "equal" - but that's a human
concept: the oranges don't care about being equal or not. Likewise there
is a hierarchy of equal signs in math, for when you want to deal with
different levels of likeness. For example, modulo arithmetic introduces a
different equality which is more slack than conventional equality.

> The thing that can be measured and equated is the event, which doesn't
> exist.

Whether or not something "really exists" is a meaningless question. "real
existence" does not exist. It's just a matter of pushing one's own
definition of the word. I could try to come up with a more useful
definition (words should be given useful definitions) and I can't think
why it's of any importance to think of events as non-existing.

And then I'm not sure about your meaning of the word "event" either...

And I thought that events are things that are localized in time... silly
me ;-)

> Programs and equations don't exist, though, they occur.

If you're going to say things like that, I'm going to argue that you're
just a bunch of molecules. Your distinction between existence and
occurrence is useless.